July 4th was a great time for pool parties, fireworks and BBQs, but almost any weekend in the summer sees many parties and gatherings of friends and family. These events require party hosts to think about personal safety of their guests. It is important that everyone stays safe. If you are hosting the party, it should be your priority to ensure your guests have a great time but are also able to get home safely. There are several ways you can do this:
- Request that all guests who plan on drinking come and go with a designated driver
- Ensure that all designated drivers have the car keys of those they are driving
- Make sure the designated driver does not get blocked in by other cars
- Stock up on party supplies so no one has to make a mid-party beer/liquor run
- Keep guests from serving themselves by hiring a professional or designating a trusted friend
- Avoid too many salty snack options, which will cause your guests to drink more
- Consider using snacks that are high in water, like watermelon and vegetable plates
- Make water readily available for your guests
- Stop serving alcoholic beverages at least one hour before you expect anyone to leave the party
- Get numbers for taxi companies or designated driver services
- Consider inviting guests who cannot drive to stay overnight
When hosting a party with alcohol, make sure that no one whom you suspect has drunk too much is able to drive. Instead, make it your top priority to help guests find a ride home, stay longer and sober up or even “crash” on your couch. Such a simple act can save a life.
How to Keep Yourself Safe
If you are attending a party, there are some important rules you must follow. If you have enjoyed one too many drinks, do not drink and drive. If you know you will be drinking, arrange a ride ahead of time. Either ride with a friend who is not drinking or call a cab. Be sure your friends make the same smart choice and do not drink and drive.
Despite the help of friends, some people will still drink and drive. If you have been involved in an accident with a drunk driver, there is a chance you could collect compensation for your injuries. The personal injury legal team at Bernstein & Poisson will review your case and help you determine the next step in seeking compensation.