Reports reveal that a Las Vegas man who was injured Sunday night in a motorcycle accident has died from his injuries. According to Metro Police, the victim, 48-year-old Mark Allen Drozd, was riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle east on Charleston Boulevard when he ran onto the dirt and gravel shoulder. This caused the rider to be thrown from the bike. The victim was taken by helicopter to University Medical Center and was later pronounced dead. The crash remains under investigation.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
While motorcycle accidents are not more common than other types of vehicle accidents, they are more likely to cause serious injury and even death. Below are some of the most common causes of motorcycle crashes:
- Head-On Collisions – Many motorcycle crashes involve the motorcycle hitting or being hit by another vehicle from the front. According to statistics, 78 percent of head-on collisions are caused by a vehicle striking a motorcycle.
- Left-Hand Turns – This is considered the most dangerous situation for motorcyclists. According to statistics, about 42 percent of all accidents involving a motorcycle also involve another vehicle making a left-hand turn.
- Speeding – Many single motorcycle accidents are caused by speeding. This is not surprising considering speeding is the third leading cause of all vehicle accidents, not just for motorcycles.
- Alcohol Use – Alcohol is another common factor in Las Vegas motorcycle accidents and is considered the second leading cause of all traffic accidents.
- Road Hazards – Motorcyclists are much more susceptible to crashing when hitting road debris than passenger vehicles. Road hazards can include potholes, dead animals, debris, uneven height between lanes or irregularities in the road.
While not all motorcycle accidents involve other vehicles, those that do could be the fault of the passenger vehicle driver.
Seeking Compensation for Injuries
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. When a negligent driver fails to act responsibly and causes an accident in which you are injured, that driver may be held accountable for paying your medical bills as well as compensating you for your pain and suffering and lost income. To ensure you have the best chance at receiving the maximum amount of compensation, hire a skilled and experienced personal injury attorney.
The team at Bernstein & Poisson in Las Vegas has extensive experience helping the victims of accidents seek and receive compensation for their injuries. Give us a call and see how we can help you.