A woman is dead and a man has suffered injuries after a possible domestic dispute led to an apartment fire, according to recent reports. The woman, who has not been identified, was found dead when firefighters responded to reports of a blaze in the southwest valley area on Spring Mountain Road at Hualapai Way. The flames did not spread to other buildings or apartments.
Homicide detectives have been called in to determine if foul play was involved. The man and a stepdaughter, also living in the apartment, escaped without serious injury.
Fires and Other Home Accidents
Accidents account for 31 million emergency room visits every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of these, 130,557 accidents result in death each year, making accidents the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. Falls account for about 30,200 deaths each year, motor vehicle accidents for 33,800 deaths, and poisoning, including drug overdoses, for about 38,800 deaths each year.
Accidents in the home, including fires, are often preventable with proper care. In order to stay safer in your own home, there are five things you should do immediately:
1) Lock up all medications and potential poisons. Watch children carefully to ensure they do not ingest poisonous substances.
2) Use products only as instructed. Never modify an appliance or other product for a use other than that for which it was intended.
3) Keep a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen and install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in every bedroom, the kitchen and throughout the home.
4) Repair any tears in carpeting or damaged flooring. Be sure that no-skid surfaces are applied in all bathtubs or showers.
5) Keep swimming pools and spas locked an inaccessible to children. Never swim or sit in a spa while drinking alcohol.
If you have suffered injuries at home due to defective products or the negligent actions of another person, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Bernstein & Poisson in Las Vegas. We are ready to help you recover compensation from the manufacturer of a defective product, the owner of your apartment, a visitor to your home who caused you injury or anyone else who may be liable for your injuries. Whether you injuries were the result of a burn, electrocution, a fall, a dog bite or any other type of personal trauma, we are here to help. Call us today for a free consultation about your case.