Workers who have suffered injury or illness at their place of employment are allowed to seek workers compensation in the state of Nevada. Although workers comp is offered to you, many insurance carriers will deny your care or make you jump through ridiculous hoops just to receive simple medical treatment. It is important to know your rights and exercise them if you must make a workers compensation claim.
Workers comp covers many injuries including neck injury, wrist or carpal tunnel and occupational illness. The benefits of workers comp are payment of medical bills, payment of lost wages, and re-employment assistance.
Big Mistakes When Filing for Workers Compensation
There are several mistakes you can make when seeking workers compensation. Avoid these mistakes by working closely with a workers compensation attorney who understands the law and can advise you on how to handle your case.
1. Running out of time. Many people wait too long and lose out on potential benefits. It is important to seek professional help immediately and file your claim as soon as possible.
2. Using a doctor of your choice. Remember, you have the right to choose your own doctor. Insurance companies will assign you a doctor to go to. Unless you agree that the doctor is the best choice, go somewhere else.
3. Letting the claim close without the opinion of a specialist. Some workers opt out of choosing to see a specialist. This can make or break your case. Just seeing your general physician is not enough. You need a specialist with an informed opinion to help you understand the extent of your injuries.
4. Accepting the insurance company’s wage calculator. You want to make sure this calculation is done right with your highest possible wage. Otherwise, you may be forfeiting a substantial amount of money.
5. Using a general practice attorney who does not know workers comp law. It is critical that you seek the help of an attorney who is well-versed and has experience in workers compensation cases.
If you or someone you love has been injured or contracted an illness on the job, contact Bernstein & Poisson in Las Vegas immediately for a free consultation. Do not try to navigate the complicated laws involved in workers compensation alone. Instead, have one of our trained attorneys fight for your rights. Bernstein & Poisson may be able to help you get a second medical opinion, schedule doctor’s appointments, get paid for your back wages, obtain your prescriptions and settle your claim. Do not fight the insurance companies alone. Call Bernstein & Poisson today.